Loading...

Blackstone and Digital Realty to Invest $7 Billion in Hyperscale Data Centers Across Europe and Northern Virginia

Blackstone

Most read

Loading Most Ready posts..

TL;DR

  • Blackstone and Digital Realty join forces for a $7 billion project, constructing hyperscale data centers in key global locations to meet the growing demand for cloud and AI services.
  • Blackstone invests $700 million for an 80% stake, while Digital Realty holds 20%, aiming to provide 500 MW of IT capacity soon.
  • The venture plans to close by mid-2024 and will rely on Digital Realty’s PlatformDIGITAL® for efficient global data center management.

New York and San Francisco, Blackstone Inc. (NYSE: BX) and Digital Realty (NYSE: DLR) have announced a strategic joint venture with plans to construct four hyperscale data center campuses in key global locations, responding to the soaring demand for data center capacity driven by cloud services and artificial intelligence (AI) advancements. 

With an estimated cost of nearly $7 billion, this ambitious project will see Blackstone investing $700 million for an 80% ownership stake, while Digital Realty will retain the remaining 20% interest. The new data centers are projected to provide approximately 500 megawatts (MW) of IT load capacity over the next several years.

Expanding digital infrastructure to meet growing demand

Development of facilities accounting for 46 MW is already underway, with a third of that capacity pre-leased to clients. This initial phase represents a significant step towards expanding global digital infrastructure capabilities to accommodate the ever-increasing demand for data processing, storage, and connectivity.

Andy Power, the Chief Executive Officer of Digital Realty, expressed confidence that the collaboration with Blackstone will significantly satisfy growing customer needs for hyperscale infrastructure, backed by substantial private capital pools. The move comes at a time when businesses across various industries are increasingly relying on hyperscale data centers to support their digital operations, particularly in the realms of cloud computing and AI.

Jon Gray, Chief Operating Officer of Blackstone, highlighted the rising demand for hyperscale data centers as a direct result of increased cloud adoption and AI innovations. As organizations leverage cloud services and harness the power of AI for data analytics and decision-making, the need for secure, scalable, and efficient data center facilities has become paramount.

The global reach of the joint venture

The joint venture between Blackstone and Digital Realty is set to have a global impact, with data center campuses planned in key strategic locations. Frankfurt, Paris, and Northern Virginia have been identified as the primary sites for development, placing these hyperscale facilities at the heart of some of the world’s most interconnected and data-driven regions.

The deal is expected to close in two stages in early to mid-2024, pending customary regulatory approvals. Once completed, the partnership will accelerate the delivery of critical digital infrastructure to businesses and organizations that rely on high-performance data center services to meet the demands of an increasingly digital and data-intensive world.

PlatformDIGITAL®: Critical operational management

To ensure seamless operation and management of the new data center developments, the global platform known as PlatformDIGITAL®, operated by Digital Realty, will play a pivotal role. PlatformDIGITAL® is designed to provide robust and reliable operational management solutions for data centers, enhancing efficiency, security, and scalability for the businesses that rely on these facilities.

Legal advisement for this venture is being provided by Latham & Watkins for Digital Realty and Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP for Blackstone. These legal teams are working diligently to navigate the complex regulatory landscape and facilitate the successful execution of this strategic joint venture.

Disclaimer. The information provided is not trading advice. Cryptopolitan.com holds no liability for any investments made based on the information provided on this page. We strongly recommend independent research and/or consultation with a qualified professional before making any investment decision.

Share link:

Benson Mawira

Benson is a blockchain reporter who has delved into industry news, on-chain analysis, non-fungible tokens (NFTs), Artificial Intelligence (AI), etc.His area of expertise is the cryptocurrency markets, fundamental and technical analysis.With his insightful coverage of everything in Financial Technologies, Benson has garnered a global readership.

Stay on top of crypto news, get daily updates in your inbox

Related News

Cryptopolitan
Subscribe to CryptoPolitan