Are you a crypto and meme lover? Then, naturally, you’d be interested in knowing how to buy Dogecoin.
Dogecoin is a cryptocurrency that had raised many questions about its’ nature when it was first introduced to us in 2013 as a joke currency. It quickly gained popularity, a supportive community, and value.
It’s not 2010 anymore. We have numerous possibilities to buy cryptocurrency. But which one is the safest and most recommended place to purchase Dogecoin? You’re lucky you came around this guide on how to buy Dogecoin.
Briefly about what you’ll need to do to buy Dogecoin:
- Get a wallet that supports Dogecoin, preferably Dogecoin native wallet
- Choose the best exchange platform that supports Dogecoin (Exrates, YoBit, Livecoin)
- Follow the steps to buy Dogecoin with USD, credit card and PayPal
Get the Dogecoin wallet
Pros: It’s native for Dogecoin
Cons: Doesn’t support other coins
Briefly about the process:
- Register on the website and get a newly generated identifier of the wallet
- Use QR code or wallet address to receive Dogecoin
Several wallets support Dogecoin, but we’d recommend using Dogecoin official wallet that gives the desktop and paper wallet options.
While on the website, choose a new wallet and enter your email address. You will also need to come up with a secure password and write down the generated identifier of your wallet.
This is what your Dogecoin wallet will look like. You can use the QR code or the wallet address to transfer Dogecoin from exchanges that we will list down below.
Find the exchange platform that works for you
Money comes in many forms, meaning that you might have your bank account, credit card, or PayPal account ready to use to buy Dogecoin. We will provide you with instructions on how to buy Dogecoin for every single case.
How to buy Dogecoin with USD (bank account)
Buying Dogecoin directly with your USD is a tough one, but we still found some of the smaller exchange platforms that allow us to do so:
Pros: Community of users, flat fee of 0.20%
Cons: Not so widely recognized, higher fees
Briefly about the process:
- Register on Exrates platform and verify your email address
- After the registration, deposit the desired amount of USD on your balance
- In the “Currency Pairs” section, type DOGE and find “DOGE/USD” pair.
- Enter the amount of Dogecoin you’d like to buy and press the button “Buy.”
- Send the Dogecoin to your wallet address.
Exrates is an exchange platform that offers many cryptocurrencies, introduced to us in 2017. It’s not such a well-known exchange so that you might be a bit suspicious at first, but if you need to buy Dogecoin with USD, Exrates is one of the fewest options.
Step 1. Register on the platform
Go to Exrates’ website and click on the Register button in the top right corner. You will be asked to enter your email address and then confirm it.
After the confirmation, you will be required to come up with a secure password, and that’s all you need to register on Exrates. To be safe, we’d advise you to set 2FA and verify your identity later.
Step 2. Fill your balance
On the top right corner, you will see a button “Refill.” Push the button and choose the type of money you want to put on your balance (choose fiat if you’re going to put USD).
Transfer your USD on your Exrates balance, and the second step is complete.
Step 3. Buy Dogecoin
Type Doge in the list of currencies or find the DOGE/USD pair in “Cryptocurrency Pairs” section.
If you found the Dogecoin in the list, press the Trade option, and you’ll be transferred to the DOGE/USD pair page. Scroll a bit down, and you’ll find the option to Buy, or either Sell your Dogecoin.
Fill in the information, write the amount of Dogecoin you want to buy, and click the button “Buy.” That’s it; you’ve got your Dogecoin!
Step 4. Send your Dogecoin to your wallet
Did you set up your Dogecoin wallet? Now it’s time to send the coin to the wallet.
Find the Dogecoin in the coin listing again, and this time, choose the option “Transfer.” You can select the three options to send your funds to the wallet. Choose the preferred one and follow the instructions from there.
Buy Dogecoin with a credit card
Here’s the option we are all waiting to try. Credit cards are comfortable and flexible to use. Almost every leading exchange platform has got the option to use a credit card, and that’s why it’s so easy to take this step.
Pros: High security, low fees, fast transactions
Cons: slow verification process
Briefly about the method:
- Register on Coinbase and confirm your email account
- Go through the process of verifying your identity with ID card and photo identification
- Link the account – your preferred payment option (credit card in this case)
- Find Dogecoin on another exchange and buy it with the Bitcoin you purchased on Coinbase.
- Transfer your Dogecoin to the wallet address
Of course, the first and the most recommended exchange platform to buy Dogecoin is Coinbase.
Coinbase is one of the leading crypto exchange platforms in the world. It’s international, has low fees, high-security level, and is easy to navigate even for a newbie.
Step 1. Get a Coinbase account
Visit the Coinbase website and press the button on the top right corner that says, “Get started.” You will be asked to provide your email, a secure password, and verify that you agree with their terms and conditions.
After this, you will need to verify your email address, and the registration part will be over.
Step 2. Verify your identity
This step is crucial because you won’t be able to use your account without the verification.
Coinbase will give you the option to choose a document (ID, Passport, or driver’s license) to use for the verification. You will need to take a photo of both sides of the document and provide the platform with it. After this, you will need to provide a document (dated three months) that will clearly showcase your name, date, and your address.
The verification process is a bit long on Coinbase. It takes about 2 hours, so you have time to scroll down and observe the statistics of Dogecoin.
Step 3. Link the account
After this, you can link the account and add your preferred method of payment. In this case, we will need to add a credit card, which is quite easy.
Go to the settings and click on “Linked Accounts,” then press on the button “Link a New Account.” You can choose between US bank account, Euro bank account, and Credit/debit card.
Add your credit card by filling in the information. The platform will conduct a small transaction of taking and returning $1.00 from your credit/debit card to verify the linked account.
Step 4. Buy Bitcoin first
You can’t buy Dogecoin directly, but you can use a mainstream cryptocurrency, such as BTC or ETH, to buy Dogecoin.
Go to “Buy Bitcoin” and buy it with your new linked account.
Step 5. Exchange BTC with Dogecoin
Return to the Exrates (or another exchange that supports Dogecoin) and refill your balance with the BTC you just bought on Coinbase. Follow the same instructions we gave you when explaining how to buy Dogecoin with USD.
Buy Dogecoin with PayPal
PayPal is a fantastic tool to operate your money digitally. That’s why a lot of people will look for it in the payment options of cryptocurrency exchanges.
Unfortunately, PayPal is not popular or trusted within the crypto community, so even fewer exchange platforms have it as a payment option.
This method is similar to Coinbase method because we will need to buy Bitcoin (a mainstream currency) first to buy Dogecoin on a P2P exchange that supports it.
Pros: Accepts PayPal payment option, fast verification
Cons: higher fees, higher prices
Briefly about the process:
- Set up your LocalBitcoin account with an email address, username and the password
- After you verify your email address, verify your phone number via SMS
- Search for the peers who are selling Dogecoin with LocalBitcoin search engine
- Choose the option you best like and buy Dogecoin
- Transfer Dogecoin to the wallet
LocalBitcoins is a true Peer to Peer exchange platform that allows its’ users to purchase crypto with PayPal balance.
Step 1. Sign up
Go to the LocalBitcoins website and sign up for free. The registration will require you to fill in your email address, username, and a secure password.
The registration process also includes email verification and mobile phone verification, so head over to your inbox and verify your email to continue using LocalBitcoins. After that, you will be asked to provide your personal information and your phone number to verify it via SMS.
Step 2. Buy Bitcoins with PayPal
On top of the screen, you will see a button that says, “Buy Bitcoins.” Press that button and proceed with the following steps.
Notice that you will have to fill in the amount, the currency, place of living, and the payment method. Press the search button, and you’ll see different options. Once you decide which one to take, click the button “Buy” and follow the instructions on how to pay the seller.
Remember, it’s a true P2P exchange, so you’ll be receiving funds from an actual seller.
Step 3. Transfer the bought Bitcoin to your exchange where you can buy Dogecoin
Again with the exchange that supports Dogecoin. Go back to the Exrates exchange and repeat the steps of transferring BTC to the account.
After the transfer, you can buy Dogecoin, following the steps given in the USD version of the guide.
There you have it. Now you can buy Dogecoin with three different payment options and store it in your wallet.
Updates/Developments – 21 Nov 2019
- By the end of 2019, the coin price will reach $0.0026. The source claims that Dogecoin is a profitable investment for the long-term (more than 5 years). In 2020, the asset price will increase up to $0.0033.(Sep 30, 2019).
- Binance.US has announced on Oct 24 the listing of dogecoin under the DOGE/USDT trading pair. For now, only deposits are open until trading is live at 1:00 UTC.
- Dogecoin (DOGE) is currently the #30 cryptocurrency by market cap at $320.2M USD. Trading volume for Dogecoin over the last 24 hours is $84.1M USD. There have been 2 news stories on Dogecoin over the last 7 days.
- The most common news source covering Dogecoin is Dogecoin Twitter and the most common news category is Project Announcements.