KyberSwap offers 10% bounty to hacker in negotiations

Unthinkable Bitcoin fee drama, $3 million lost in alleged hack

Most read

Loading Most Ready posts..


  • KyberSwap offers a 10% bounty to a hacker who stole $46 million, requesting the return of 90% of the funds.
  • The hacker dispersed the stolen assets across multiple blockchain networks, including Ethereum and Polygon.
  • KyberSwap’s response highlights the security challenges in decentralized finance and opens a unique negotiation with the hacker.

In a dramatic turn of events in the decentralized finance world, KyberSwap, a prominent decentralized exchange, has found itself at the epicenter of a sophisticated heist.

On November 22, the platform experienced a massive security breach, resulting in the loss of $46 million. In a bold move, KyberSwap has offered a 10% bounty to the hacker, hoping to recover 90% of the stolen assets.

The KyberSwap Heist: A Crafty Operation

The hack on KyberSwap’s liquidity solution, KyberSwap Elastic, was no ordinary cyber theft.

It involved a meticulously planned operation that saw the hacker escape with a significant haul including $20 million in Wrapped Ether (wETH), $7 million in wrapped Lido-staked Ether (wstETH), and $4 million in Arbitrum (ARB) tokens.

This sophisticated attack didn’t just target one network; the hacker skillfully navigated across multiple chains including Arbitrum, Optimism, Ethereum, Polygon, and Base, dispersing the stolen funds in a bid to cover their tracks.

KyberSwap quickly alerted its users to the breach, urging them to withdraw their funds immediately. Meanwhile, the hacker, confident in their anonymity, left a message for KyberSwap’s developers, employees, and community, indicating a willingness to negotiate.

This unprecedented move sparked a tense but intriguing dialogue between the perpetrator and the platform.

The Negotiation: A Race Against Time

In response to the hacker’s message, KyberSwap extended an olive branch. They offered a 10% bounty of the stolen funds in exchange for the safe return of the remaining 90%.

This proposal, unconventional in the crypto space, reflects the exchange’s commitment to safeguarding its users’ assets and a pragmatic approach to an extraordinary situation.

The team at KyberSwap acknowledged the hacker’s skills and cut straight to the chase, emphasizing the urgency of resolving the situation. They set a deadline for the hacker to respond by 6 am UTC on November 25, after which the offer would be void.

KyberSwap also signaled their willingness to engage in further discussions via email, illustrating a rare instance of open negotiation with a cybercriminal.

This incident has shed light on the complexities and vulnerabilities of decentralized finance platforms. A DeFi expert dissected the KyberSwap hack, revealing that the attacker exploited a sophisticated “infinite money glitch.”

Doug Colkitt, founder of Ambient Exchange, characterized this exploit as one of the most complex and carefully engineered he’s ever seen. The attacker repeated this exploit across KyberSwap’s pools on multiple networks, leading to the grand heist.

The situation at KyberSwap is a stark reminder of the security challenges facing the decentralized finance sector. While blockchain and crypto promise a level of security and decentralization, they are not immune to the machinations of skilled hackers.

This incident not only highlights the need for stronger security measures but also opens up a dialogue about how the crypto community can collectively respond to such crises.

KyberSwap’s decision to negotiate with the hacker is a gamble that reflects the evolving landscape of cybersecurity in the crypto world. It’s a situation that blurs the lines between right and wrong, legal and illegal, and poses significant ethical questions.

As the crypto community watches this drama unfold, the outcome of these negotiations could set a precedent for how similar situations are handled in the future.

Whether the hacker will heed the call and return the stolen assets remains to be seen.

What is certain, however, is that this episode will go down in the annals of crypto history as a fascinating case study of cyber theft, negotiation, and the uncharted waters of decentralized finance.

Disclaimer: The information provided is not trading advice. Cryptopolitan.com holds no liability for any investments made based on the information provided on this page. We strongly recommend independent research and/or consultation with a qualified professional before making any investment decision.

Share link:

Jai Hamid

Jai Hamid is a passionate writer with a keen interest in blockchain technology, the global economy, and literature. She dedicates most of her time to exploring the transformative potential of crypto and the dynamics of worldwide economic trends.

Stay on top of crypto news, get daily updates in your inbox

Related News

Subscribe to CryptoPolitan