There are more than 10,000 cryptocurrencies today, but crypto experts argue that as the crypto industry matures with time, 90% of these coins will collapse. The few that will survive the crypto apocalypse will go on exponential growth, making long-term holders very rich.
This story takes a detailed look at the best long-term cryptocurrency investments and helps you decide which ones to include in your crypto portfolio.
We looked at the coin’s past price performance when searching for the best long-term investments. Furthermore, we analyzed their fundamentals, market capitalization, how established the cryptocurrency is, when it was launched, and the number of token holders.
1. Bitcoin It is no surprise that Bitcoin (BTC) is on our list. Also, this is by far the best long-term investment. Bitcoin, the pioneer cryptocurrency, was created to replace fiat currencies. Furthermore, it is widely accepted as a store of value and hedge against traditional cryptocurrencies. Many businesses worldwide accept Bitcoin as payment, making the crypto asset an excellent long-term investment.
2. Ethereum Ethereum is the second largest cryptocurrency after Bitcoin and is currently the most popular blockchain. The ETH blockchain stands to gain more ground once its upgrade, “The Merge,” is fully completed. The upgrade is scheduled for the third and fourth quarters of 2022. This upgrade aims to move the Ethereum blockchain into a proof-of-stake consensus, reduce the number of coins on the platform, and decrease Ethereum’s energy consumption.
3. Binance Coin BNB is the native coin of the Binance smart chain. However, Binance is the biggest crypto exchange in the world. This crypto exchange has a smart contract network that competes with Ethereum’s technology. Even though it only began operations in 2017, Binance has the most successful smart contract blockchain network. This growth level is why we included it in our list.
4. Cardano The Cardano network is one of the fastest-growing blockchain technology in the world. However, this network is arguably one of the most secured blockchains in the crypto industry. This level of security future-proofs Cardano’s blockchain and affirms its sustainability; this is why we listed this crypto-currency on our list. Furthermore, Cardano (ADA) blockchain network is more energy efficient than other more extensive networks like Bitcoin and Ethereum, which means transactions on this network are cheaper and faster.
5. Polkadot Polkadot (DOT) is a newer cryptocurrency than other coins. This blockchain network offers basic abilities compared to Ethereum. This blockchain is considered Ethereum’s alternative. It offers parachains- a series of connected blockchains running alongside to speed up transactions.
6. Polygon Polygon (MATIC) is arguably one of the most popular cryptocurrencies in the crypto market. In addition, this platform is the most successful Layer-2 scaling protocol for Ethereum. The platform has also made significant contributions to the Ethereum blockchain. Binance and Coinbase back Polygon; its token MATIC is used for payment and settling transaction fees.
7. Avalanche Avalanche (AVAX) is a layer-one cryptocurrency that rivals the Ethereum blockchain network. Avax is the native cryptocurrency of the Avalanche network, and, like Ethereum, it uses smart contracts to support different blockchain networks. Ava Labs created Avalanche and computer scientists at Cornell University, one of whom, former professor Emin Gün Sirer, is a veteran in cryptographic research.
8. Terra 2.0 The Terra Classic blockchain uses stablecoins to power global payment systems. Furthermore, the CEO of TerraForm Labs, Do Kwon, proposed the Terra Luna fork to rebuild the Terra ecosystem. The existing Terra blockchain would be split into two blockchains. Following the hard fork, the old chain was renamed Terra Classic (LUNC), and the new chain is referred to as Terra (LUNA).
9. Chainlink Chainlink is a decentralized oracle network that enables universally connected smart contracts. Chainlink allows blockchains to securely interact with external data feeds, events, and payment methods, thus, providing critical off-chain information needed by complex smart contracts to become the dominant form of digital agreement.
10. Decentraland Decentraland is also one of the best long-term crypto investments. However, Decentraland offers a virtual world that enables users to create their digital avatars. These avatars are virtual versions of individuals. They are customized and represented via unique NFTs. Users can also explore the Decentraland virtual world – they can be able to buy virtual lands. To explore the possibilities of Decentraland, users need to connect their wallet to Decentraland and pay for their purchase with MANA tokens (the official token for Decentraland).
So that’s it. We have revealed long-term crypto investments and revealed the risks involved in cryptocurrencies. If you aim to invest in the long-term, you should be able to accommodate the risks involved. But only invest in projects that have a sustainable project behind them.